LIBRARY ASSISTANT / YOUTH SERVICES (full-time, 37.5 hours per week)
Geneva Public Library District seeks a proactive, collaborative individual to join our team as a full-time Youth library assistant, with a focus on teen volunteers and support services. We pride ourselves on connecting with our community to discover, inspire and grow and delivering service at the level of Wow! Under the general supervision of the Youth Services Manager, the Library Assistant provides direct service to the public through reference and readers’ advisory service and programming for children birth – grade 8, supports programs and services through the organization and ordering of supplies and coordination of teen volunteers, and contributes to creating a positive environment and enthusiasm about the Library. The successful candidate will be a creative self-starter who uses technology confidently and routinely, has a passion for customer service, great attention to detail and a drive to organize.
Primary duties include:
· Provision of basic reference and/or readers’ advisory service on a regularly scheduled basis at a busy public service desk; uses and instructs patrons on computers, downloading eBooks, emerging technologies, print and electronic resources and social media platforms; connects children with materials for educational and recreational needs
· Coordinates departmental teen volunteer activity
· Orders supplies; Prepares for crafts, displays and programs
· Assists with collection development and management through selection and evaluation of physical and digital material as assigned
· Assists with outreach and programming activities for youth populations and community groups as assigned
Qualifications for Position:
· Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in a team environment
· Excellent communication/interpersonal skills
· Strong organizational skills; the ability to move from task to task
· Experience, ability and interest in working with children
· Reads broadly in areas of interest to youth, their caregivers and educators
· LTA certificate or B.A./B.S., preferred
· 2 years library experience preferred
· Availability to work days, evenings and weekends (Starting schedule: Monday 12:45-9:15 PM, Tuesday 8:45am-5:15pm, Wednesday 8:45am-5:15pm, Thursday 8:45am-5:15pm, Friday 8:45am-5:15pm + a weekend rotation once per month Sat 9am-5:15pm / Sunday 12pm-5:15pm)
Starting salary is $17.38 per hour. This position includes our full benefits package, including health insurance, Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) benefits and paid time off (holiday, vacation and sick).
View full position description here. View job application.
Applications accepted until position is filled. Priority review given to applications received by August 30, 2017.
Submit GPLD application, cover letter and resume to: HR-YSLibAsst@gpld.org